AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in the Personal Injury field.
10805288

After a collision with a motor vehicle I learned from the Emergency

After a collision with a motor vehicle I learned from the Emergency Control Center that 911 calls are destroyed after three months. Is this true? My therapist insists that 911 telephone records are retained for many years and that something is not right. Who do I contact at the Control Center that can access those 911 records of the phone call on the day that I was injured two years ago?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing personal injury law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you.

After a collision with a motor vehicle I learned from the Emergency Control Center that 911 calls are destroyed after three months. You learned it FROM who? Can you give the phone number and/or address of the entity / person from this ECC you are referring to that you spoke with?

Is this true? No.

My therapist insists that 911 telephone records are retained for many years and that something is not right. Yes. I agree.

Who do I contact at the Control Center that can access those 911 records of the phone call on the day that I was injured two years ago? No one in that manner. When you file your suit against whoever you are suing, you can then subpoena that record. But in the meantime, here in PA, 911 call transcripts are exempt from PA's right to know law. The Right-to-Know Law, 65 P.S. §§ 67.101 et seq., (“RTKL”). Section 708(b)(18) expressly exempts from public disclosure “records or parts of records … pertaining to audio recordings, telephone or radio transmissions received by emergency dispatch personnel, including 911 recordings.” 65 P.S. § 67.708(b)(18).

Now, the RESPONSE LOG, which is not the same as the call recording, IS publicly available, under the RTKL, so no subpoena is necessary for that.

Optional Information:
Country relating to Question: United States
State (if USA): Pennsylvania
Additional information to your question: I was injured by a motor vehicle while riding my bicycle. Another person who claimed to know someone at the Control Center said that there was no 911 call that day, and then changed her story and says that there was a 911 call after all! On contacting the Control Center I heard that too much time had already passed for them to satisfy my question. That is ridiculous. They are not destroyed like that. Criminal prosecutions sometimes arise YEARS after, and those tapes are available.

My therapist says that call record still exists. I agree with her. But to get the transcript, you need to likely subpoena it, which means having an active court case. If you want to get a log of ALL calls that came in near the time frame in question, such as a time limited LOG, that would be more likely a success even if you haven't filed your complaint yet. You'd typically be requesting if of the County the accident occurred in.

Good luck!

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service - if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19+ Years of Legal Practice in the Personal Injury field.