Tina, Attorney
Experience:  Personal Injury & Wrongful Death experience includes judgment for $10M & $3M settlement

What should I expect in a mediation hearing regarding a divorce?

What should I expect in a mediation hearing regarding a divorce? Do the attorneys do all the talking or do I get to have input
Hello and welcome and thank you for requesting me.

It is typically up to the mediator whether to hold joint or separate discussions. For the most part, the attorneys and the mediator discuss the issues, but your input will be requested normally, especially if there is an offer from the opposing party.

Your attorney may wish to discuss any offers with you alone, without the opposing party or mediator present and that is quite common as the attorney does not wish to divulge communications which are protected by the attorney-client privilege. In addition, if you might be testifying at trial, if mediation is not successful, your attorney will probably not wish to tip off the other side as to how you might come across as a witness, so that is another reason for the attorney to be involved in the mediation discussions in the presence of the other party and then request to discuss issues with you privately.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!