Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

My nephew committed suicide on 12-17-12. He was on the drug

My nephew committed suicide on 12-17-12. He was on the drug Prozac and Norfluoxetine. Can we sue the drug manufacturer for wrongful death?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

It is quite possible that you can sue the manufacturer, since these drugs have some history of causing suicidal thoughts and behavior that are now part of their warnings. However, before you can do anything regarding that you are going to have to have a medical expert review his medical records and dosage amounts to determine if it was possible the medication side effects caused this death. If you are able to get such expert confirmation, you must get to a product liability attorney with the records and information to be able to file suit against the manufacturer.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”