Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  I have successfully handled number of Personal Injury cases
26296561

My wife works at Ryans in TN which is a buffet chain. She

My wife works at Ryan's in TN which is a buffet chain.
She received 1st and 2nd degree burns on her arm when hot tea poured onto her from some kind of tea urn malfunction.(she could better explain it) they gave her a workers comp number to go to ER with. Can she sue for anything about the tea machine?
Submitted: 1 year ago via LegalInfo.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am terribly sorry to hear about your wife's recent injuries and I hope she is doing better.

While your wife does have to make a claim through the Employment Compensation Board, if she was actively employed during the time of the incident, she might also be able to pursue a claim for damages based on some type of manufacturer's defect, if in fact it can be proven that this tea dispensing machine was defective or even failed to place necessary and reasonable safety warnings on this product.

In order to have your wife's case evaluated for a legal claim based on product liability / manufacturer's defect, your wife does need to consult with a local personal injury attorney who specializes in product liability / manufacturer's defect claims.

You can find an experienced and reputable local personal injury attorney by using these well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.martindale.com
www.lexmundi.com
www.justia.com
www.lawyers.com

I wish you and your wife the best of luck and a speedy recovery!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont think the machine itself was defective however it was not properly cleaned causing a clog in it,which somehow caused the accident.
Dear Darcy,

Thank you for your follow up.

The machine would need to be examined by an expert to determine what has caused the malfunction and whether such malfunction was caused by the neglect of another employee who failed to properly clean it or by some type of a hidden defect or lack of proper design of the machine.

If it is the design, then your wife might be able to pursue a claim against the company that made this machine, but if it was a negligence of another employee, then your wife would have to pursue her claim with WC Board.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: I have successfully handled number of Personal Injury cases