Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in personal injury law.

confidentiality breach?

I took two friends with me to my ultrasound...the nurse walks into the room and starts to reveal some very private medical history.....confidentiality breach?

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I can understand your distress, but I believe I have information you will find helpful.

Yes, revealing your confidential medical information is prohibited under HIPAA. As a general rule, you must provide written authorization to release confidential medical information.

However, HIPAA does not provide for a private cause of action. You would need to file a complaint with the Dept of Health and Human Services:

It has been my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further assistance.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.