Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor

I was a passenger in my husbands car when he got into an accident

I was a passenger in my husband's car when he got into an accident that was his fault. His insurance company gave me the policy limit because of the extent of my injuries. Can I now also get the underinsured policy from his insurance? Or is that like double dipping on the same insurance company?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The insurance company unfortunately will probably not cover you on the underinsured motorist policy if you have already obtained the full policy limits as a third party claim. It depends on the specific terms of the policy, though. You can call and ask if they'll cover you (assuming that you're also listed on the policy). If they won't, they'll tell you that the policy doesn't allow it and they'll decline coverage.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.