Tina, Attorney
Experience:  Personal Injury & Wrongful Death experience includes judgment for $10M & $3M settlement

I have a case. I changed lawyers and now another firm has taken

I have a case. I changed lawyers and now another firm has taken the case.

I have contracted with the current firm for what I believe is the standard percentage of 33 1/3%. My current contract does not address the previous firm or his payment.

1. Is it correct that the current firm must reimburse the previous firm?

2. Does the current firm reimburse the previouse firm for expenses out its 33 1/3% or out of my portion?
Hello and welcome,

The former firm will typically place a lien against the case for the value of the work they have performed in the case. The current firm does not normally reimburse the previous firm, but the amount the former firm is entitled to will normally come out of the amount you are to receive from any settlement or judgment unless your agreement with the current firm states otherwise.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by going to your “My Questions” page and clicking on “Request Tina again” next to my photo. I look forward to hearing from you again.