How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead Personal Injury Trial Lawyer
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Since the last visit with my wifes attorney, there had been

This answer was rated:

Since the last visit with my wife's attorney, there had been little movement in closing the case. We decided to contact paralegal who was working the case before he left the firm to go to another one. He in return contact my wife's attorney and expressed our concerns. Today there is still little movement, and the paralegal now handling the case has been unavailable and does not return our calls. What should we do? This is the second law firm that has had this case, we released the first one.
Hello Again

An attorney has a duty to keep you informed regarding the status of your case. It is completely unprofessional to not return your calls, even if the attorney does not have any good news for you. That being said, cases do not move quickly. I've never seen a case move at a pace that I or my clients thought was satisfactory. That's usually because the other side holds things up, or the court/comp board has set a deadline far in the future.

In other words, there may be a very good reason that the case has not progressed since the last time you were in the attorney's office. However, the failure of the attorney to talk to you is wrong and possibly unethical. What I would recommend is sending a letter to the attorney by certified mail telling him that you do not appreciate his failure to communicate with you and you expect him to contact you immediately, return all your phone calls in the future, and keep you up to date on your case as is required by the rules of professional conduct.

If he does not respond to your letter within 5 days of receipt, you need to contact the state bar to file a grievance against him.
TexLaw and 4 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess that there are some hurt feelings, for us going to a person that left the law firm for help. We are still unable to speak with the paralegal who is our point of contact for our case.

The paralegal that was working on our case, was excellent now it is a 180 degree change.

We have drafted a letter to be send to our attorney, but we are not sure how deeper a hole we would be digging.
Our attorney for the most part is going to court or on the way back from court, so for the past 7 or 8 years our main contact has been with the paralegal working on our case.

Thank you


Related Personal Injury Law Questions