TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead Personal Injury Trial Lawyer

Hypothetical: Bicyclist traveling with the flow of traffic

Hypothetical: Bicyclist traveling with the flow of traffic approaches an intersection with a light. Street has two lanes in each direction. Bicyclist safely with arm signals moves from far right of the street to the next lane to the next lane into a left turn "pocket" As she enters the left turn pocket waiting for the light to change so that she can make a left turn, a vehicle entering the same street she is on from a driveway to her left coming out of a shopping center enters that street with the intention of going onto that street and then to head straight across the intersection. In so doing that motorist clips the bicyle and sends the person flying. The hypo concerns whether a bicyclist is allowed to safely travel across lanes of a roadway designed for motor vehicles and use the left turn pocket to turn left onto another roadway.

Thank you for your question.

Under California law, bicycle riders have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists and may use left turn lanes.

For further information, please see:

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please also consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question.