RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Hi i had a slip injury about 6 months ago.can i still file

Hi i had a slip injury about 6 months ago.can i still file a law suit?
Thank you for your question.

Since laws vary by state, can you tell me what state this occurred in, please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, you can still file, and have plenty of time to do so, in fact. The statute of limitations (or time limit allowed to file) a personal injury claim in California is two years from the date the injury happened.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

by any chance do you know any law firm in my area that can help me

Thank you for your reply, it is appreciated.

Unfortunately, site rules prohibit professionals here from giving your recommendations to specific lawyers or firms. However, I would suggest you contact a lawyer referral service, which can put you in touch with a personal injury lawyer in your area. The California Bar Association has a complete list of lawyer referral services in California sorted by county:

Alternatively, you may want to look at sites like or, which both have lawyer ratings and reviews from past clients which you may find helpful.

Lastly, know that personal injury cases are typically taken on contingency, meaning you would pay no fee unless the lawyer took your case and was able to recover money for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i represent my ownself on a slip and fall case

Absolutely - there is no requirement that you have an attorney represent you. That said, however, if you choose to represent yourself, you would be held to the same standard as a practicing lawyer. In other words, you would be expected to draft the lawsuit and file it properly, conduct discovery, and possibly take the case to trial, if it came to that.

Given that a lawyer will only take a percentage of any money you recover if you win (and therefore there is little risk to you) I would strongly consider not doing this on your own, and having a lawyer represent you.