TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead Personal Injury Trial Lawyer
17219180

My wife and I finally went to her attorneys office, she said

My wife and I finally went to her attorney's office, she said that she would tell workers comp that we want to settle. For over 5yrs. we were thinking that at any time a offer would be put on the table. Now it seems that we should have told the attorney that we wanted to settle? What would be a reasonable amount on a case like this?
Thank you
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes please, I am curious to the anwers to my questions

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Regards,
Wendy
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Figuring out the settlement value of a workers compensation claim depends on a variety of factors and I need to know more information from you.

Please answer the following questions:

1. What is the injury?

2. Has your wife reached maximum medical improvement?

3. Has a doctor determined that your wife is permanently disabled?

4. Is the permanent disability a partial disability or a total disability?

6. If a partial disability, what is the impairment rating?

7. Is there any other job that your wife has retrained to work?

8. What was your wife's average weekly wage and how much is she currently receiving in income benefits?

9. What kind of medical treatment is she currently receiving?

10. What kind of medical treatment will be needed in the future.

If you can answer these questions, I can tell you what the settlement value is.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

-ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1- My wife injured her tailbone, and had a coccygectomy. She then got a

staph infection, and had to have I&D surgery. 2- Yes she has reached her maximum medical improvement. 3- Yes her doctor has determined that she is permanently and total disabled. 4- My wife is unable to work, she has problems standing and sitting. 5- My wife's average weekly salary was 650.00 per week gross.She now gets a state workers comp. check of 295.65 per week, and 827.00 per month from SS. 6- She is on pain medications, and it appears be on them for life.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
A few more follow up questions.

How old is your wife?

How much does the medication cost?

Is there any potential she will need future surgery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At present my wife is 62 yrs. old.

The medications costs total about 300.00 per month

The Dr. state that surgery to remove the scar tissue around the nerves, will only be temporary cause the scar tissue will more likely return.
Thank you

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
The way you figure out the maximum settlement value is to determine the overall total of all the benefits due to your wife for the remainder of her life, as measured by the US average life expectancy for a female.

Life expectancy for a white female is 80.9 years, for a black female is 77.2, and for a hispanic female is 83.3.

I did not ask your wife's race, but on average, the top settlement value for your wife's case is going to be approximately $195,000.00.

-ZDN

TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Lead Personal Injury Trial Lawyer