Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Is it possible to sue an orthodontist? She had me get a pallet

Is it possible to sue an orthodontist? She had me get a pallet expansion surgery that does not stay closed following removal of the braces several years ago. As soon as I remove the retainer the teeth start to move apart. She says she told me I would need cosmetic work. Another orthodontist told me that it is not effective in adults (I am over 50). In addition those teeth are permanently numb. Would prefer to speak with someone who could take the case in NJ or recommend someone.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Personal Injury litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Yes, it is possible to sue an orthodontist IF you can prove that the medical professional was negligent or that he/she didn't perform the work correctly, etc.

However, medical negligence cases must be brought within 2 years of the negligent act. If it has been longer than 2 years, you would be barred from filing suit. However, if you are within the 2 year timeframe, you can sue.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Hi - the state you have listed in New Jersey, but your user name looks like you're in North Carolina.

If you're in North Carolina, the time period to sue is 3 years from the date of the injury.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the limitation from the last time I saw her or the last time I paid her? I may be under but will check. Yes I am in NJ that was a question a few years ago.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.
Hi - it would be 2 years from the date of treatment.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions related to this issue. Also, please positively rate our conversation so that I may receive credit for my research and response.