Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

What do I need to do in the state of Nevada when someone is

What do I need to do in the state of Nevada when someone is claiming that a email i shared with mutual friends was slander? The email stated that he made a fool out of me by borrowing money and failing to repay it

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Personal Injury litigation attorney.Thanks for the question.

If the statement at issue is written, it would not be slander, because that is spoken defamation. Libel is written defamation.

In order to qualify for defamation - libel or slander - the speaker/writer has to knowingly make a false statement in an attempt to pass it off as the truth in order to harm one's character.

However, an opinion is not defamation. This means that if the statement was made as an opinion about how someone feels, that's not defamation. A comment where one person says someone else made a fool out of him/her is not likely to be considered defamation because it's clearly an opinion the

speaker holds.

In the unlikely event that you receive a letter, you could respond that the statement is not defamation because it's simply an opinion, which is not libel or slander.