Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

how much money should i get for bulging disc

Customer Question

Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
What type of accident was this (workers compensation or not)? Has a doctor giving you a permanent disability rating (if workers compensation)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes workmans comp...not finished yet...still treating, just wondering

what i'm looking at. what if i have to have surgery?

Workers compensation is a different animal from a tort claim and you cannot sue your employer in tort because the workers compensation laws prevent it. The value of a workers compensation claim depends on your permanent disability rating, since you are not entitled to pain and suffering or any lump sum payment without a permanent disability. All you are entitled to without a permanent disability rating is payment for the time you are not able to work and payment of your medical bills and costs. If you get a permanent disability rating then based on that rating you would be entitled to benefits based on a total number of weeks, which typically for a 100% disability is 5-10 years of benefits at 66 2/3% of your base pay. However, there are multiple factors such as your current age, your work expectancy time and the severity of the 100% disability that play on that decision as well.

It is not a simple calculation of just saying, "back injury, $20,000" it requires sitting down looking at the medical reports and your age and life expectancy and a host of other factors and when you get to the point where the doctor is telling you that there will be some permanent disability, you need to get to a local workers compensation attorney so they can make a proper valuation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”