Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I was wondering if I have a case. When I was pregnant with

I was wondering if I have a case. When I was pregnant with my now 4 month old daughter my Obstetricians sent me to Magees Women's Hospital on 3 different occassions. The first time was to clear me of being high risk because of previous miscarriages in which they did. I began vomitting daily on all solids and liquids I consumed during my 5th month of pregnancy and my OB sent me to a specialist at Magee's. The specialist did no tests and only talked to me. He stated that women in concentration camps only consumed 400 calories a day and had healthy babies. The 3rd time I was sent to Magee's I was 29 weeks pregnant and my OB told me that my placenta was insufficient for my baby and that Magee's would admit me until I was further along or if I had to deliver they were equipped to handle premature babies. When I went to Magee's they made me feel as if I was inconveniencing them. They had me wait in a waiting room for over an hour before sending me to ultrasound. The ultrasound staff were rude saying they were full and I would have to wait until they could squeeze me in. I spent 3 hours waiting and worrying before I was taken back. I was then told my baby was a few weeks behind in development but not to worry. They sent me home. My OB was furious. It was later learned they had not performed the requested tests on me. I had my daughter by emergency c-section at 34 weeks. She was life flighted and hospitalized with numerous problems. I was recently told by a doctor that her heart defects should have been detected in an ultrasound and that some of her conditions are caused by her prematurity. Do I have grounds to sue Magee's.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Personal Injury litigation attorney here to assist you.

If you can prove that the hospital and staff didn't provide you adequate treatment and fell below the standard of care, yes, you have grounds to sue.

You only have 2 years from the treatment to sue for malpractice, so you should consider seeing a medical malpractice attorney in your area as soon as possible.

Also, Pennsylvania law requires expert testimony on your behalf that the treating facility and/or staff fell below the appropriate standard of care. Your attorney will assist you in finding the appropriate expert (usually a doctor) to help with your case.

Here's a link that outlines Pennsylvania malpractice law: http://www.mcandl.com/pennsylvania.html