Law Girl
Law Girl, Attorney
Experience:  I am a founding partner in a law firm that litigates personal injury cases.
635143

Hi, I recently lost my dog due to the vets negligence. He went

Hi, I recently lost my dog due to the vets negligence. He went in for a leg surgery (he broke it,) and apparently was overlooked in the recovery process. (They have said they overlooked it.) He was with them 2 plus days after surgery. Apparently fluid built up in his lungs and he eventually suffocated on it. He had never had any health problems in his life. (longer story than that but you get the picture.)
I am going to dispute the bill and report them to the state veterniary association.
My question is...Is there any other legal action I can take. I really feel like they caused his death with their negligence and were not even apologetic. I know animal law is growing, but I'm not sure that there are any lawyers practicing it in Maine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.

Law Girl :

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your loss. You may consider using a civil litigation attorney to file an action for negligence against your vet.

JACUSTOMER-ymmvkr99- :

Ok, good to know. I have been at a loss as to where to turn and that gives me something to head towards and investigate.

Law Girl :

At least it gives you options. Again, I am sorry you had to go through this.

JACUSTOMER-ymmvkr99- :

Should I do that before disputing the bill and calling the state veterinary board?

Law Girl :

You probably want to consult with the lawyer who will be handling the case. That way you have the advantage of being able to use the process to potentially gather evidence and not inadvertently say anything that could be taken in a manner that is contrary to your potential case.

JACUSTOMER-ymmvkr99- :

Ok, thanks for the advice. I think that is all I had to ask.