Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in the subject matter.
1723468

how to respond to slander from my ex-director and ex-staff

how to respond to slander from my ex-director and ex-staff?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
How has the slander affected you? Has it affected ability to seek employment, retaliation by the ex-staff or others? Please clarify?

Is this information also being disclosed to your current employer or prospective employer?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, fortunately I have not encountered any problem, but I do go back to my old place of work everyweek since I car pool my daughter's friend to ballet. I see these ex-coworkers and management and they all give me dirty looks and now I know why... Management began spreading the rumor that I was let go due to insubordination. Spreading rumors and causing trouble.

When I gave my two weeks notice, the environment at work was becoming seriously tense with endless overtime and battling pesonalities. My ex-Director and I spoke in private and she told me she felt that I had done a superb job and that she wanted to not loose me as a friend and with the tension there at work mainly because of my leaving, she would release me from my two weeks notice and she paid me 2 weeks severance pay with holiday pay accumulated.

In this area I am not sure, I have applied to other jobs and if they call them, who knows what they would say. While working there, I witnessed a phone call whee an employer was calling to check reference and the Asst. Director answered, "No, I wouldn't recommend". Later she told me that it was for an ex-staff member.

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay, seems like the posting notification is slow at the moment.

If the purpose is to sue, you would need to demonstrate "harm" to your person. I understand there are dirty looks from these ex-staff members, but that is not legally something monetarily you can recover for. If the statement disclosed had caused you to lose potential employment that you qualified for, then that would be harm to your reputation that could have been recovered.

If the goal is to clarify the issue with personnel, you can submit a report to be included in your personnel file. It should provide objections to the statements made and to set the record striaght on the termination of employment. Having this on record would help in case false information was being disclosed to prospective employers as those files could be subponed if you ever have to sue for an actual defamation cause of action resulting in harm to your reputation and ability to find employment.

I hope this makes sense.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My question is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner[lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, the issue is also the reputation with the community. We live in a small town and the word gets around. What's my option then?
You would have to wait until you are "harmed", meaning you are retaliated, shunned or unable to get services, products, employment, etc... because of the false statements made against you. And important element in defamation cause of actions is the harm you have sustained as a result of the false statement of facts, such as inability to be hired which means loss of income, inability to be able to purchase a product, because you are turned away.

Attorney & Mediator, Attorney
Experience: Experience in the subject matter.