How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Cowgirl Lawyer Your Own Question

Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years, including personal injury.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Cowgirl Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you sue a psychiatrist for malpractice My 13 year old

Resolved Question:

Can you sue a psychiatrist for malpractice? My 13 year old was admitted into Mesa Vista hosptial by us, her parents to treat her mania and depression. The psychiatrist told us her behavior was not a result of being bipolar and that she was ready to come home after only 3 days. He also lied and said that the insurance had only approved her for three days. My husband told him that we didn't want her to come home until her behavior was under control, since safety was an issue. He was very "irritated" and later told her that the reason she wasn't going home after he told her she was discharged was because her dad would not allow her to come home. At the time we were angry and filed grievences but now, only a month later, she is in another facility due to her anger and unmanageable behavior-even on a new medicine with a new psychiatrist. We feel that part of the problem now, in addition to her bipolar, is that she doesn't feel that we love her due to what he told her.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 6 years ago.

Yes, it is generally possible to sue a psychiatrist for malpractice. In order to do so, you must be able to establish that the psychiatrist's treatment fell below the accepted standard of reasonable medical practice (this is the malpractice portion of the claim). And, you must be able to prove that, as a result, significant harm occurred (this is the damages portion of the claim).

The specifics of such a lawsuit depend, of course, on your particular jurisdiction (what state you live in). Many states now have limitations on malpractice claims and such claims may have to pass through various screening processes in order to weed out allegedly frivolous claims.

If you are interested in pursuing a claim against the psychiatrist, you will want to consult with a personal injury lawyer locally who deals with medical malpractice claims. You can expect that if an attorney believes you have a good case, that the attorney will take the case on a contingency fee basis, meaning that you do not pay the attorney unless the case is either settled or won after trial.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so, or give you further explanation if you don't understand. If not, please click ACCEPT to pay Just Answer and me for helping you. Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Gloria M."

Good luck and best wishes!

Gloria M

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely informational and educational. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not legal advice. This forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of knowledge. You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship, and I am not responsible for your legal rights. The only way for us to be in an attorney/client relationship is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm, and I am only licensed to practice law in Illinois. You should consult with legal counsel in your area for specific information relevant to your situation.

Cowgirl Lawyer, Attorney
Satisfied Customers: 1422
Experience: Attorney for 22 years, including personal injury.
Cowgirl Lawyer and 6 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide basic personal injury advice to my clients in my own practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Personal Injury & Wrongful Death experience includes judgment for $10M & $3M settlement
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of legal experience.

Related Personal Injury Law Questions