Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

My lawyer quit my case 2 weeks before my trial date and so

My lawyer quit my case 2 weeks before my trial date and so I thought they would send me a new trial date...I don't know how these things work. Instead of the new date, I received a letter stating they awarded in her favor b/c I wasn't there. The trial was set for August and I'm so beside myself I can't stop crying. I owe around 30,000 in medical. I was just harassed by a bill collector today for this 18,000 dollar bill for physical therapy. They said they spoke with my lawyer and he said I fired him. That is an outright lie. He quit. Is there anything I can do now? I owe so much money and I don't know what to do. Please help!
If you did not fire your lawyer and he resigned, he would need leave from the court to do so and if he did not obtain such leave, you can sue the lawyer for malpractice and/or seek to have the case restored to the trial calendar by motion from new counsel.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I received a letter stating that he resigned, so is there nothing I can do now? I'm so upset and depressed over this, I don't know what to do... I need more info
a lawyer cant resign without court approval. Go to court and ask to gave the case put back on the calendar for trial, do it with a lawyer preferably and consider suing the departing lawyer for malpractice.    you can find new counsel on

Please accept my answer so i get credit.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The courts sent me a letter stating that he resigned. I thought that was illegal if I didn't have a new lawyer. Especially 2 weeks before I had to go to court. How does a lawyer legally take leave? I did nothing wrong. Then he lied and told my creditors that I fired him...
Please review my last 2 responses. i have commented on how he cant do this and what you can do next. I realize this is very emotional and hard for you, for this reason among others you should have a new attorney to handle the case for you going forward both to get a new trial date and also to sue the old attorney.

please remember to accept my answer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much! You have been very helpful. Thank God for people like you! God Bless you. I wish I had more money to give you. You're awesome!
That is very nice of you. I wish you all the best. Follow through, try to remain calm, and things should begin looking up.