Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I started toilet training you 3 year old (he turned 3 end of

Customer Question

Hello
I started toilet training you 3 year old (he turned 3 end of September) a week ago. Within a day, he mastered wees and is even dry at night. The issues are poos. He is withholding his poos to the point where we had to give him a suppository after 6 days of no pooing which was very traumatising. Since then he still hasn't gone and I'm getting so frustrated and losing my patience which is making me feel terrible. I've even put his nappy on but he still won't poo in his nappy now. He says his tummy is sore and he has skid marks so I know he needs to go. He runs around saying ' I need to yucky ' (his word for poo) but won't go in either nappy, toilet or potty. Help! Where do I go from here? He has never had an issue with constipation and eats fruit and vegetables and drinks lots of water. He is a very strong willed determined boy. I feel like I've completely ruined it and traumatised him. Where do I go from here? Putting back in nappies won't work, I've tried that.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 21 days ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

have you tried a reward system?

if he poos on time then he gets a star. 5 stars and he gets a treat or prize

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I'm sorry but I was hoping to speak to a child psychologist

welcome