Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My 11 month has experienced a slowed growth rate, poor

Customer Question

My 11 month has experienced a slowed growth rate, poor appetite, and mucous in his stools. He is otherwise healthy; meeting or exceeding milestones and still growing (just slowly). He went from 99% for length at first to 37% for length at his 10 month check up. His weight is now also in the 36%. He is breastfed and accepts solids; I've added formula supplementation but can't get him to take more than 5-10oz a day at max. He nurses maybe 2x during the day, one before bed, and through the night several times. His nursing sessions are often short because he is very distracted.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, I have. His ped actually recommended "ice cream with every meal and snack, white potatoes with dinner, extra butter, donuts ("like gobs")". Otherwise, just said to watch it for now. I do not take any medications. I have two other children, 4 and 6, who have always been great eaters.
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: Yes. I don't trust his pediatrician at all and am worried about my son.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No---he does still wake frequently at night. He can be cranky at times, but I think its average for his age. Like I said, he has been having loose stools now for several weeks, muscousy. Not diarrhea--just loose. 1x day
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 23 days ago.

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S.
I will try my best to help you.

Did he have stool test?

What solid foods does he take? How many times? Amount?

Did you add ice cream, potatoes, butter, donuts etc. in meal?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hi Dr. Su S.,
He has not had a stool test or any diagnostic testing other than a routine CBC and lead test that was also done at the 10 month check up. The same ped who gave me the "ice cream" advice read the results and just said they were normal.
I never gave him the ice cream or donuts. I have added more butter to his foods (for example, with his peas/broccoli/pasta/toast). He eats whatever we eat, cut up, and I offer snacks--usually cheese sticks, or baby snacks (freeze dried yogurt snacks, puffs, happy baby bars, etc). I also buy the squeeze/pouch baby foods and he gets those with lunch and dinner. Sometimes he finishes them, often times he does not. They usually run 70-100calories/pouch. I bought the Earth's Best sensitive formula that has reduced lactose in it, with not changes in his stool.
3 meals a day with snacks... offer the bottle throughout the day. Nurses AM, around 12 and before bed, throughout the night
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for the input.
At this age the children learn to take different foods, then total calories may not be optimum.
Weight gain can be slow during this time.
I think in next check up he will gain weight.
He is taking proper solid foods.
Try to increase the amount of food in each feed.
You can try custard with rice powder, butter, different fruits as they contain more calories.
Doctor has advised ice cream as children like it most.
As the stool contains mucus, you can consult with his doctor to get a routine stool test.
You should not worry, he will overcome.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish his healthy life.
Regards.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
that is your only advice? Is it not concerning, the sharp decrease from 99-80-37% ? You agree with the ice cream suggestion, despite the high sugar content?
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 23 days ago.

He needs increase in calories, protein and fat.
Ice cream is not absolute necessary.
It is an example of different options.
Avocado, beans, chicken, cheese can be added.
Oatmeal mixed with yogurt or pureed fruit will have more calories.