Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My 6inth old got a hold of s dry contact lens that I hadn't

Customer Question

Hi doctor
My 6inth old got a hold of s dry contact lens that I hadn't properly disposed of and swallowed it. She coughed/choked for a few seconds afterwards. My question is since it gets sticky and adheres to anything when wet, can it adhere to the mucosal lining of her esophagus(the wall of the esophagus) and not pass through her system?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Your daughter is will be OK.

That lens will hydrate in her esophagus and move down to her stomach where it will be softened up.

It will move through her system without any problems at all and everything will be OK in the end....

It will not get stuck and it will not cause any difficulty or harm at all. Promise.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS