Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 3 year old child has been recently diagnosed with type 1

Customer Question

my 3 year old child has been recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.after doing an intense research i came into some information regarding the use of AAT as treatment for newly diagnosed patients with type 1 diabetes. AAT could be revolutionary and I know Dr. Eli Lewis, is the only one in this research as a diabetes expert at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel for treating insulin-dependent diabetes in its very early stages.
i also have learned that there are doctors willing to use this drug as an off label to treat this disease. would like to find one of the doctors or hospital worldwide wo are familiar with this research and would be willing to administer this medication. any advise.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 4 months ago.

Hi Shail,

Sorry about this diagnosis. First you have to stabilize your child on insulin course. Please call 020 7446 8558

for more information from the foundation of this university. Treatment with Alpha-1-antitrypsin is safe in children.

See link : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26073583

Glassia, a product of Kamada ph. of Israel is marketed for children as syrup. It is given once a week.

More details from : http://www.kamada.com/news_item.php?ID=210

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I am not satisfied with you answer my question was not whether Alpha-1-antitrypsin is safe in children but wanted to know can you suggest doctors or clinical institutions world wide who offers off label treatment for AAT to treat this disease and are familiar with this research and would be willing to administer this medication as treatment.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not interested in to participate for Clinical Trial and I want verified medical institutions or Doctors contacts to do off label treatment with AAT therapy to treat Diabetic Type 1.

The drug is approved by USFD so its use is not off-label but regularized. Each country may have differing availability so inquire with the website of Kamada.com giving your details, and ask for your nearest availability, or order OnLine and give under supervision of a Pediatrician.