Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a 16 month old son with a stuffy and runny nose, he

Customer Question

I have a 16 month old son with a stuffy and runny nose, he congested and wezing. I thought about giving him Benadryl but the box say do not give to children 4 or younger. Is there anything I can give him
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, we generally try to avoid using antihistamines or decongestants in children younger than 4 years old.

The preferred methods for easing congestion include blowing the nose or using suction if they are too young to blow their nose on command. To loosen the mucus/congestion, it is good to apply salt/saline nose drops into the nose before blowing or suction. Using steam also can help to loosen the mucus. Steam can be created by holding the head over a bowl of hot/boiling water or using a shower to generate steam in the bathroom. If you have a humidifier, that also can be used in the room.

It also helps to assure that he remains well hydrated.

If he is coughing, then using 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of honey may help.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.