Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp

My grandson is 22 months old, his mother and father are not

Customer Question

my grandson is 22 months old, his mother and father are not amicable and he goes to his fathers every other weekend and 2- 2hour visits during the week. my daughter and grandson live with us, and we are an extremely interactive family. my daughter has not started teaching my grandson about private body parts yet except that his penis is his pee pee and his bum his you would with a child this young, he is just starting to put sentences together he is quite bright for his age. our concern is .....last night I had a toy rubber mask of spiderman that would be on a toy of Barbie doll size. I was showing my grandson the mask and he took it looked at it then he opened it up inside where it is all red and it is the size of a walnut, he looked inside and said to me bum bum...and I asked him again what he said he said showing me the inside of the mask bum, bum...I am concerned because I do not know how the inside of a small red mask could be seen as a be blunt if I does look like a woman's vagina, but how would a child know does not resemble a buttocks by any means. I had 3 children and they never used this correlation, we are very concerned I can attach pictures for you to see but it will have to wait till I arrive home.Are we jumping the gun, we are very concerned, I don't know how to perceive this, the way he just opened it and looked and was adamant that it was a bum bum shocked us....and we don't want to brush things off either, in this day and age with all the things that occur. any interpretation as a child doctor would be helpful to distraught mother and grandmother...thankyou
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 1 month ago.

Hi, Sure a kid this young should not have any such inquisitiveness. But then their understanding is poor too and will not have any sexual connotation to such remarks. Please totally and safely disregard this episode.

Not to give any importance to this will be prudent.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you doctor my husband said the same thing.
You're welcome.