Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I lost my nosering and cant find it anywhere. This has

Customer Question

Hi doctor, i lost my nosering and cant find it anywhere. This has happened in the past and i have found it stuck to my clothing. I am very afraid tgat my 6 month old may have swallowed it accidentoy (as she often puts her mouth on my shirt...perhaps she could have licked it off of me or it stuck to her lips and she could habe swallowed ut that way). I am worried about ut being stuck in her esophagus as she isn't really wanting to drink from her bottle and has frequent regurgitation. The same incudent happened months ago as well where i lost another nosering. My biggest hear is that one of these is lodged in her esophagus. I was reading online that symptoms may even be mild. I know an xray is really the only way to tell but she has already had two xrays from birth when she was in the nicu so i am terrified of the cancer risk if i have another one performed. I an so worried and feel utterly stuck.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 2 months ago.

Hello, Sorry about this issue. If baby is choking on feeds then investigation is must so either an X ray or an endoscopic procedure by gastroenterologist. Please decide which one in consultation with your pediatrician.

Good luck to baby and till she is grown up, avoid the jewellery.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She isn't choking all the time, just sometimes he coughs/chokes but i cant tell if it is regurgitation or coughing on her saliva. What is the risk in getting another xray when it comes to radiation exposure?

With modern fast machine and lead shield for other body parts, risk is minimum for another X ray.