Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My son turned 5 in June and started Kindergarten a few weeks

Customer Question

My son turned 5 in June and started Kindergarten a few weeks ago. He has been getting "yellow" and "red" days at school for not following directions and has gotten in trouble on the bus. He is a sweet boy and really well meaning but he keeps getting in trouble. I am worried because he lacks awareness for why he is getting in trouble just like he has always lacked awareness that socially he does not fit in. He acts more like a four year old than a five year old and I am sure that he is not ready for Kindergarten emotionally even though he is probably average in learning. When he talks to other children his age, they become annoyed. He runs out in the street on and off the bus before the bus driver tells him to no matter how many times I scream at him. I have even tried spanking because he almost got hit by a car more than once and I did not know how else to get through to him. That has not worked either! I do not want to take him to a doctor because I believe they will want to medicate him. I am against this because when I was a child, I was forced to try many medications for ADHD that really messed me up and had severe side effects. Severe! I feel that it will be best to repeat kindergarten or pull him out and restart next year but we face a really strange problem with size that I worry will effect him with fitting in. He may be one of the yongest in his class but he is extremely tall. Several inches taller and a whole head size taller or more than many. He is much bigger than his average size sister who is almost 7. He wears a size 8 in clothing! He looks twice the size of the children he will be going to kindergarten with next year (not exaggerating). My question is, will this effect him socially in another way if I hold him back or repeat kindergarten? I am so worried about him because he struggles so much with friendships and with following directions. But I also do not want him unable to fit in because he is so big for his size. I do not know what to do or which is the lesser of two evils.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 2 months ago.

Hello, You sure have a difficult choice. Please persist with behavioural pediatrician on his schooling etc without taking him physically to doctor. And follow your instinct about this and other decisions. Physical size does not matter in children when they are within the average mentally.

After first year or two, most such kids fall in line with social and peer pressures to learn the norms well.

Good luck to him.