Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My 11 year old daughter does not want to eat, drink,

Customer Question

My 11 year old daughter does not want to eat, drink, fatigues easy, and has a gagging sensation in her throat. I took her to our local med station last thursday, they said post nasal drip is causing the gagging and she was dehydrated. She had urinalysis there and that is how they came up with dehydration diagnosis. told her drink more water. My concern is, is that she will not drink water. I have tried flavored waters etc but I think she is drinking maybe a total of 8 oz for the whole day. Her appetite is still decreased. We started on Claritin for the post nasal drip but she is still having the gagging sensation. She has lost 3 or more pounds. How do I know when the dehydration is reversed. She is still not 100% almost a week later. Cannot decide if I just need to take her to the ER for some IV fluids or if she needs some blood work done. Not sure if the gagging is post nasal drip or reflux symptoms. She just seems miserable and not thriving like normal
JA: How severe is this?
Customer: Last week she was complaining of her lips tasting salty and they were dry. I asked yesterday and she said they no longer taste salty and they are not as dry looking so I took this as a sign of improvement but she just is not bouncing back very fast.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: at the first of this month I am pretty sure she had strep throat but we were out of town and could not get any meds. Fever, chills, sore throat, severe headache. She seemed to get over this. Then on the 11th she got her shots for school tdap and chickenpox. She had some redness and swelling where the chickenpox shot was at. Then on the 22nd she came home from school because of the gagging feeling in her throat, not feeling well in general and was running a low grade temp of 99.9. I wondered if she was having a delayed reaction to one of her shots.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Not likely due to any shot but sure she will benefit from indoor treatment and tests are required too so please do needful in this regard.