Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physcian
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Can you tell me about vaccinations and also about rotovirus

Customer Question

Can you tell me about vaccinations and also about rotovirus with Gerd patient
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Was in nicu for sown time had barium with high grade gerd
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure if safe to give rotovirus vaccine and also how many cases are there usually anyways and also what are precautions in all vaccines for caregivers
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

It is safe to use rotavirus vaccine in GERD patient, if that is what you are asking about.

It is still safe to give the rotavirus vaccine even though he was in the NICU.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end and then submitting your rating as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 4 months ago.

There are no specific precautions for caregivers.

If the child develops a bit of fever, which is something that happens relatively commonly, then just use tylenol.

No other precautions.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I already had left for appt. I had read about shedding and also about live vaccine and possible to get it through saliva and feces from the vaccine? Is this common? Any precautions there?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

It is not possible to get it through saliva or feces after the vaccine has been administered.

There is no need of precautions.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please do submit a rating when you are done.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This was on drugs.com which is where I look for interactions but here is what I read and it scares me:Always wash your hands after handling the diapers of a child who has been given the rotavirus oral vaccine. Small amounts of the virus may be passed in the child's stool and could possibly infect others who come into contact with the child's stool.What happens if I miss a dose?
Contact your doctor if you miss a booster dose or if you get behind schedule. Your child may not be protected from rotavirus if the doses aren't given within 10 weeks of each other. Be sure your child receives all recommended doses of this vaccine.What happens if I overdose?
An overdose of this vaccine is unlikely to occur.What should I avoid after receiving rotavirus oral vaccine?
For up to 15 days after receiving rotavirus vaccine, the child should avoid coming into contact with anyone who has a weak immune system. There is a chance that the virus could be passed from the child to that person.Avoid receiving the doses of this vaccine in different clinics or from different doctors. Your child should receive the same brand of rotavirus oral vaccine for all doses given. Different brands of this vaccine may not have the same dosing or booster schedule.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 4 months ago.

I understand your concerns.

Do you or anyone around you have a weak immune system?

I am presuming that all people around the child have a good immune system.

The precautions only apply when someone has a weak immune system.

Otherwise the precautions are not necessary.