Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp

My four year old has been irritable and hard to deal with.

Customer Question

My four year old has been irritable and hard to deal with. He cries when you move objects telling me to put them where they were the "first time", he refuses to eat/drink unless I "share" with him, he sometimes counts the number of bites of food he eats and cries if he loses count, he has become obsessed with what day of the week it is,he refuses to play with his own toys or his tablet (things he use to love). He seems anxious/nervous (bites his nails) he has to say goodbye in same spot or he gets anxious and cries. He use to love to eat though he has always been a handful. He has always been angry/whiny one minute happy the next. I have read about childhood depression and ocd.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Sorry about these issues. Please bear with him as mostly this is a passing phase.

Please use reward and punishment for any more difficult or protracted issues. Please also get him assessed by pediatric psychologist if he is also losing or not gaining weight and has disturbed night sleep. Till then no need to worry about any psychiatric label.

Good luck to him.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What types of things can I do about his crying? Should I ignore it should I try to comfort him?

He needs to be distracted in any of a variety of manners suitable for the moment. If not amenable, may be allowed to stop crying and settle in his own time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should I continue to let him eat off my plate? He gets angry when I ask if he wants his own plate or his own food.
no problem, as long as he takes meal.