Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician
Experience:  Well experienced in Pediatric & Neonatology deptt.

I have a son that just turned 3 7/10 and has been potty

Customer Question

I have a son that just turned 3 7/10 and has been potty trained for about a month. Today I noticed after a very large bowel movement some blood when I wiped. The stool was very large and hard and he also strains a bit during some bowel movements. I thought I noticed it one time before but this time I was certain. It was not a lot but I am very scared. He had a recent physical with a hematocrit and lead test that were normal. What could cause this blood and also the large dark stools?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh- A Board Certified Physician and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Well, the most common cause for such symptoms is- Anal Fissure.

Anal fissures usually are caused by passage of a large or hard stool. This is the cause in 90% of children with blood after passing stools.

Such hard stool could occur with Constipation, causing a small tear in anal region.

Fissures cause bleeding when a child has a bowel movement, particularly if he has a hard bowel movement or passes a large amount of stool.

This is not a serious problem and all you need to do is manage the constipation.

He should be seen by doctor, so that clinical examination is done, and they would advised measures to control constipation.

Please take him to doctor and get it clinically evaluated.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will take him tomorrow. I am a complete wreck. Should I be alarmed by the dark stool color as well?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Yes, you should get it checked by tomorrow morning.

Such dark color stool, could be related with blood from anal region.

Eating Red food coloring, beets, red Jell-O could cause such dark color stool.

This should be clinically accessed by doctor.

Please take him to doctor by tomorrow and get it managed.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards