Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp

My daughter is going through a divorce and sadly the home is

Customer Question

My daughter is going through a divorce and sadly the home is full of tension. Her baby daughter is 15 months old and starting to throw horrible tantrums-mostly when "dada" is handing her over. My daughter is heartsick as it appears the baby "hates" her. Mom has to work a traditional 9-5 job while dad, over the past month, has finally stepped up to be a more hands on dad. He is constantly crying and throwing his own tantrums in front of the baby. How should my daughter handle this and how can I reassure her that her baby does love her?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Sorry about this impending separation. Baby is too young to have any fixed mind or liking, it will gradually change with things settling down. Mother should devise some attractive ambiance and diversion for baby when handed over, to distract her sufficiently to prevent scene. This may involve a care-taker too, as she is working full-time.

Please contest custody accordingly and minimize father's visitation hours per week, citing his frame of mind and crying in front of baby.