Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My 4 year old son has to blisters above s front teeth. We

Customer Question

My 4 year old son has to blisters above his front teeth. We have done 2 rounds of anitibioctics. They have gotten smaller but not gone away. Thy have done X-rays and didn't worry to much about it. I call today cause he still has them but did not talk to the dr. The lady who answer phones told me they would have to remove the teeth probably! Is this true?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: Nope 2 weeks ago. We just finished 10 days of medicine. The first round was 3 weeks before that.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the dentist can help you best.
Customer: They are not tinder or red. My pedi said it did not look like a infection but his dentist said it did look like one.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dentist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your sons symptoms. Now the formation of blisters above the teeth are an indication of an infection which may be present in the teeth themselves. Blisters usually indicate a chronic infection. Now these infections may be in the form of several different types of abscesses. This could be an apical abscess, latera; periodontal abscess among other types. Now the reason that he doesnt have any tenderness or redness is most likely because of the antibiotics which he has been on. The use of these antibiotics has most likely reduced the size and intensity of the infection however the presence of blisters may indicate that there is some residual infection still present at the root of the teeth. So if the infection is still present then YES he may have to remove the teeth to get to the actual source of teh infection and clean it out.

It is also possible he may opt for another round of antibiotics to see how he responds to those, but given that he has already done two rounds, he may have to remove the teeth at this point in time and clean out the area thoroughly.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/