Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Family Practice Physician
Experience:  14 years Family Practice experience including inpatient and outpatient pediatric care.
13781349

My son just recently had elevated liver enzymes and was

Customer Question

my son just recently had elevated liver enzymes and was mildly anemic. I was researching what this could mean as the MA had no idea
JA: This is your chance to ask all the questions you might not want to ask with your child with you. Our Expert is good with medical issues for all ages of child right up to the giant adolescent child.
Customer: what can I do to help him reach appropriate blood levels (assuming it is nothing serious)
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Tanner was born 3 weeks early and has ran 6-9 months behind his peers in development since birth. He is failure to thrive due to size and weight and has been since birth. He eats well now and has been growing better since he was placed on a gluten free diet 2 years ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pediatrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 5 months ago.

Hello!

How old is your son now?

Do you know how his liver enzyme values ?? AST? ALT ??

One common relatively benign illness that can bump up liver enzymes for a few months often could be a case of mononucleosis....

A case of the oral transmitted hepatitis A could be a culprit

Iron deficiency anemia is common in children because they grow and often this growth demands more iron...

Other types anemia may be considered...

The DEGREE of liver enzyme elevation would be key as to the seriousness of the condition.. If AST and ALT were over 35 but lower than 100 then it would be less likely to be very serious...over 100 would raise more concern...

Let me know what further details that you can...

I will be happy to get back with you..

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Also did he have any jaundice? Elevated bilirubin??