Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

Need help understand IQ scores from my childs school

Customer Question

Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My son was given the Kaufam Brief Intelligence Test, Second Edition: Score was 81 on the non verbal and 97 on the verbal giving a total of IQ 88. They ten gave the Wechler Intelligence Scale for children 4th Edition: He obtained a PRI of 90 which they said is in the 25% percentile and classified as average. He received a VCI of 85 which is ranked they said as 16%tile and classified as low average he obtained a WMI of 74 they said is 4%tile and borderline He obtained a PSU of 73 with is ranked 4%tle which they said is borderline. Full Scale IQ of 78, classifying him overall below average. Please help me to understand what this means. they further explained that he does not meet criteria for special education but he is 8 years old and we are still struggling with letters and sounds, recognizing number, count more than 10 objects as well as some color confusion.
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 5 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

An IQ of 78 would definitely classify him as below average.

Special education is not sole based on his IQ but rather on his ability to participate in activities and educational programs appropriate for his age.

If he is unable, which is what it sounds like, his doctor can make a formal request to his school to place him in the appropriate classes.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.