khagihara
khagihara, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields
20084961

My daughter is having seizure like episodes with the POTS as

Customer Question

My daughter is having seizure like episodes with the POTS as well.. I am hearing that they are psychogenic, but do not believe it..It seems more like a simple partial seizure..the seizure happens only when the tachycardia happens. Do you know where I can get some help to determine exactly what she is having?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  khagihara replied 6 months ago.

Can you tell me the seizure like episodes? Did she have EEG?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She had an EEG back in January..they stated that they were not epileptic. The seizure always starts when the Tachycardia begins. She has seizures at no other time. She can tell when she is getting ready to have one. Her breathing speeds up, she is aware most of the time during the seizure. then she starts to shake..her eyes sometimes will start to roll back in her head...the pain in her head is unbearable as are the chest pains during the episode. Then she will lose feeling in one side..typically her left hand and left leg. She is tired after the seizure and always has to urinate. She has them everyday... She was asleep during one seizure awhile back and ended up wetting the bed..Any help is appreciated...thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She also has weird rashes..erythomelalgia, and one doctor said mast cell activation as well., her legs aches a good bit of the time..lots of symptoms..she was diagnosed with dysautonomia and POTS in January of this year. She missed three months of school.

It doesn't seem to be seizure because it doesn't cause headaches. It could be due to cerebral hypoperfusion from POTS. She should have POTS controlled well. She should avoid precipitating factors, and physical activity should be encouraged. We suggest volume repletion and fludrocortisone (0.05 to 0.2 mg per day) as the first line of therapy. She should also try midodrine or beta blocking agents.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much. Do you think she should have an MRI for the headaches. I have forced the physical activity..she is out of bed and back on the ice. She is a competitive skater. However, these episodes happen daily. Is there any type of Doctor that you would recommend..cardiologist, neurologist? Autonomic Doctor?

She should see a neurologist.