Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician
Experience:  Well experienced in Pediatric & Neonatology deptt.
6740150

My son is 21. He hasn't been able to hold down food

Customer Question

My son is 21. He hasn't been able to hold down food for 5 days. Doesn't eat, seems fine. When he does eat, he throws up an hour later
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Welcome to Justanswer website.Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today

The symptoms you have described about your son of having vomiting & not been able to hold down food since last 5 days can be due to a condition called gastroenteritis what you call as stomach flu. Gastroenteritis is the irritation and inflammation of the digestive tract.

Its most common causes are:Food poisoning, viral infections, food allergies, improper diet, and intestinal parasites or bacterial infections.

Sometimes there is only vomiting or only diarrhea or both of them.

Other possible causes of vomiting can be :gastritis,other stomach problems,central causes (signals from the brain),motion sickness, labyrinthitis, benign postural vertigo, or Meniere's disease.

Give him tab meclizine hydrochloride ( brand name: Dramamine).This will help you greatly in stopping the vomiting.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription. Watch the symptoms for the next 3 days.

If still after this,the symptoms persists.then this should be checked with his doctor for tests & examination and prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh