Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.

Our 10 year old son came home with elevated temp on Wednesday

Customer Question

Our 10 year old son came home with elevated temp on Wednesday last week and feeling a bit nauseated and a tummy ache. Since then he is having fever around 103-103.9. I give him Tylenol and Ibuprofen to keep it under control. The only other symptom he has was a stuffy nose. No green or yellow discharge. Nothing else. WE have been to his pediatrician on Wednesday. They tested for Strep and Flu, both came back negative. They said it's viral and we need to wait until it's gone. On Thursday we went again as he was feeling unwell. They listened to his lungs, checked his ears, throat etc. everything appreared to be clear. They said there is nothing they can do, it's viral. Fever became more and more agressive and difficult to keep under control. He is shivering and has extreme chills when temperature is rising, it is pretty scary. I had to give Tylenol and Ibuprofen more often and interchangeable to make sure he does not get too hot. He felt very bad on Friday so I took him to a different pediatrician. They checked his urine, negative. The white blood count was normal. We are still waiting for the results of the urine culture and the test for the WEst Nile Virus. On Saturday morning he felt better and told me his tummy ache is gone. The fever was still there though and by late afternoon yesterday, he felt off again. Tired lethargic and high fever. During the night he had bad chills, and was complaining about a sore throat. I put him on an antibiotic (which I had at home for travel for the kids) and gave him the first dose last night at 1:30am, the second dose this morning at 10am. He still feels miserable and the sore throat got worse, he has problems swallowing now. It is not very red though, I mean it is a bit red but no yellow spots or totally super red. Right now he is shivering again and temperature went from 100.4F to almost 103 within 30 minutes (!) I just gave him his evening dose of AB (it is Cefuroximaxetil 250mg twice a day) - we started the AB last night at 1:30am, which means about 18 hours ago. Other than that he's eating and drinking lots of water. What can I do and what can this be?
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He was never vomitting nor did he have loose stool. He had just a stuffy nose and the high fever for 4 days and now, since last night in addition the sore throat.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Flu was tested with a nasal swap on Thursday pm and on Friday around lunchtime. Both negative. Strep was only tested on Thursday and at that point in time it was negative.
White blood count came back Friday pm as normal. Other tests, like urine culture and West Nile Virus are not back yet.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 months ago.
Greetings,Thank you for your question. I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.I am sorry for his symptoms.I feel you should take him to doctor again.The illness might have started as viral infection.However, bacterial infection can set in in post viral period.As he is having sore throat, a bacterial infection needs to be ruled out.At home, you are taking right measures like antipyretics, fluids.Please continue them.I hope this information will be helpful.If you have any query, please feel free to ask.If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating. Wish his healthy life.Regards.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Both doctors listened to his lungs and checked everything else, they could not hear or find anything else. They could not figure out where the fever is coming from and told me to just "wait". I am waiting now since Wednesday, and it is not getting any better. I have never experienced a virus taking that long to subside or at least to gradually get better. He still feels very sick and does not play or anything. He is just laying on the couch watching a bit tvAs I mentioned before: I PUT HIM ON AN ANTIBIOTIC LAST NIGHT. We started it at 1:30am first dose and the second dose this morning at 10am. Just now 7:30pm he took his third dose. That means he is on it since 18 hours now.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The AB I did put him on is Cefuroximaxetil 250mg twice a day!
Antibiotic can take some time to have its maximum effect.It can take 2-3 days too.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the type of AB the right one? He is about 90 pounds and I give him 250mg/twice a day.
This is usual dose.Sometimes, higher dose is given according to severity.The type, however would need an examination in person.