Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp

My son is 8 months old and had an eye test this week. They

Customer Question

Hi, my son is 8 months old and had an eye test this week. They have found a black spot on the retina. All other reflexes etc seem good. We have a referral for a child eye specialist next week. What could it be? Are there certain questions I need to ask etc?
JA: Keeping an eye on your eyes' health is important - for most people vision is their most valued sense. Our Expert will help you with which sort of vision doctor you should visit. Is there anything else the Opthamologist should be aware of?
Customer: No, he is a very healthy baby, well developed, thriving. This was a bit of a shock because I know he can see okay, I see him focussing on objects and people when they come into the room etc. Previous GP eye exams have all been okay.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Opthamologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidwho found black spots on the retina?without a dilated pupil exam, it can be very difficult to look at the retina in a 8 month old who is not cooperating with a fundoscopic eye he able to follow toys and interesting objections with his eyes?is he crawling or sitting up yet?if he is healthy and eating and growing, most likely his eyes are 100% fine