Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.

My 6 year old daughter who is severely autistic suddenly started

Customer Question

My 6 year old daughter who is severely autistic suddenly started displaying episodes of her left eye turning inwards uncontrollably on Monday, with lots of blinking...I took her to the emergency room with zero results and no tests run because her exam seemed normal, no fever, ears clear etc. Tuesday morning she woke up with heavily yellow crusted eyes but zero redness in them. She saw her regular pediatrician and he suggested it could be reflux. I am very concerned as the eye turning in episodes are still occuring randomly throughout the day, to a point that her one on one teacher is very concerned as well. Her appetite is ok, sleep is ok except for waking earlier then usual, she has had more episodes of wetting herself then usual. I am concerned that, from what I have read, it could be a strep bacterial infection in her eyes causing the uncontrolled movement of it rolling inward and the squinting and fluttering of the eye lids. I have also read about PANDAS. I have asked for a referral to a pediatric opthamologist, for a CT scan and question is what should I insist on for tests to be run immediately....what could this be?
Category: Pediatrics
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is non verbal and unable to communicate with us to tell us if anything hurts or bothers her.
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 5 months ago.
Greetings,Thank you for your question.I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.I am sorry for her symptoms.Excess urination can be due to infection.Stress or intake of plenty of liquid can be a factor.Yellow crusting can be due to infection or inflammation of the eyelids.Both inflammation or infection can cause irritation of the eyes.Thus involuntary movements can be more.Antibiotic can be needed.You should take her to an ophthalmologist asap.After examination, if the doctor suspects about any neurological issue, then he can refer to pediatric neurologist.Then doctor can decide on CT/ MRI and further tests to know the precise cause.I hope this information will be helpful.If you have any query, please feel free to ask.If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.Wish her healthy life.Regards.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The eye turning inward is doesn't stay that travels inward and comes back does it frequently throughout the day though...Is it possible this is a strep infection in her eye? Would that cause the yellow crusted eyes in the morning and the turning inward? Her eyes are not red, swollen, puffy etc
Infection or inflammation of the eyelid, nasolacrimal duct can cause crusting in the eyes.Swab can be taken for culture to find out the organism.