Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

My daughter gave birth to twin boys at 33 weeks

Customer Question

.My daughter gave birth to twin boys at 33 weeks pregnant. Twin A weighed 1.84 and Twin B weighed in at 1.8. On day four in the NICU, Twin A was diagnosed with the Klebsiella virus. He was very ill and put into isolation for 3 weeks. He had a blood transfusion and 3 platelet transfusions. He needed a central line because they couldn't find any veins. For 14 dayshe was given no milk. After two weeks the doctor started increasing his milk gradually and he is now in high care on all sucks. He is still very pale but he is doing well. His twin has been home for allmost two weeks already. What I want to know is whether he could get klepsiella again. Does the virus stay in your system and will there be lasting effects from this superbug. My daughter is breast feeding him. Thank you so much. Liz Wilson.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 months ago.
This is Dr. Davidif twin A is doing better and eating and peeing and pooping and not having fevers, then he shouldn't have teh klebsiella virusmom's breast milk also has antibodies which can help fight infectionhis body will also produce antibodies to the virus to help him fight off future klebsiella infectionslet me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me: for using