Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

13 month old girl. ASD, VSD from birth. Been monitored by pediatric

Customer Question

13 month old girl. ASD, VSD from birth. Been monitored by pediatric cardiologist and has been taken off lasic medication. No problem. Recently taken off formula (aorox. 1 month) and drinks whole milk now.
Problem we are having now with her is poop related. Her stool is hard, I mean like a stone at times. She struggles while trying to evacuate her bowel and sometimes crys due to pushing so much. What can we do? Could milk be the culprit here and would you advise using lactaid or other lactose free milk for a girl her age?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 7 months ago.
Greetings,Thank you for your question. I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.I am sorry for her symptoms.Is it a new symptom?Does she take any other food besides milk?How is weight gain?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Last few weeks started.
She eats baby food stage 1,2
Dr's say her weight gain is within her growth curve. She has good appetite.
Thank you for the input.Constipation is often a problem in a child.Children can pass stool every few days without any problem.As she is having VSD, ASD, it is better to avoid straining.Cow's milk can cause constipation due to lack of fibers.Milk with oat meal can be tried to prevent the constipation.Lactaid is not necessary.Dietary measures usually help a lot.Please try to give more water or fluid, high fiber containing food.In many cases it has been seen that less water intake is related to constipation.Vegetable like peas, beans, spinach, carrot, potato are very good fiber containing foods.Cooked leafy vegetables are also good and should be given daily.Instead of fruit juice, fresh fruits like peaches apricots, prunes, ,pears, plums etc. can be given and those would help to relieve constipation.When you take food, let her sit with you.She can try those & learn to take variety of foods.Though she is 13 months old, still you can try to keep a routine to let your baby sit in the potty for 5-10 minutes 2-3 times a day to make a habit.As the stool is hard to pass and she is pushing hard, you can give glycerin suppository for easy passage of stool.Fibre containing laxative like metamucil/ citrucel can be given sometimes.If the symptoms continue, you should take her to doctor.I hope this information will be helpful.If you have any query, please feel free to ask.If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.Wish her healthy life.Regards.