Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My 13 year old daughter has been diagnosed with a ear infection

Customer Question

My 13 year old daughter has been diagnosed with a ear infection and upper respiratory infection. She was given amoxicillen 5 days ago. She is taking 500mg twice a day. And this evening she was still running a fever of 100.2 and when i looked in her ear there was alot of thick gooey yellow/green mucus running out. What does this mean and what should I do?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 1 year ago.
Greetings,Thank you for your question. I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.I am sorry for her symptoms.Fever along with yellow green discharge indicates persisting infection.This can be in the external ear canal or in the middle ear.Middle ear secretion can come out through ruptured ear drum.I feel you need to take her to doctor again.Doctor will examine the ear canal again.He can change the antibiotic, prescribe antibacterial ear drop.Swab can be taken for culture.Meanwhile, you can clean the ear secretion if it comes outside with clean moist swab or cotton.I hope this information will be helpful.If you have any query, please feel free to ask.If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating. Wish her healthy life.Regards.