DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Board certified general medicine
Experience:  Treat babies to elderly with medical and integrative therapies; all situations; innovative treatment
24257177

My 5 month old just started eating solids, she had banana and

Customer Question

My 5 month old just started eating solids, she had banana and sweet potato so far. She just started having green poop, light and dark but in every diaper change. she is also teething. I took her to the doctor and they dont seem to concerned, what could it be?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is normal for babies.It is a little early for food as opposed to breast milk, but in any case, this finding is common.Bile is green.If food is passing through quickly, the bile does not have time to go dark.This should get better over time. OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she also has some mucus in her BM. She has a stuffy nose and slight cough too. The doctor had me start food because she has great neck control and is ready for it. The daycare calls me every day about her bowel movements and she seems happy. I am just worried the doctor might be missing something. She is my first born so this is all new to me
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 1 year ago.
I don't think the doctor is missing anything.I think this is all normal for starting food, particularly starting it early. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.