khagihara, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields

My eight year-old son is really getting into sports and while

Customer Question

My eight year-old son is really getting into sports and while that's great, we, his parents, want to make sure he doesn't over do it. For example, he wants to run a 6 mile fun run with me in June. Is he old enough to train for road race in addition to fairly intense weekly soccer practice and gymnastics classes?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrOlivia-JD-MD replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. You aren't charged anything extra by submitting a rating.*I* think it's completely fine that he participate in these sports. My kids are in about six different sports ;-) Ultimately it comes down to what you as a parent feel is appropriate for him given his age and skill set, and if you're still not sure I would try to get "clearance" from your pediatrician. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance; this will not cost you anything extra but it's the only way we get credit for assisting you. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your reply - I was trying to ask a pediatrician! How can switch?
I just submitted a request for you...
Expert:  khagihara replied 6 months ago.
The following exercises are okay for his age. T-ball, softball or baseballRunningSoccerGymnasticsSwimmingTennisMartial artsCarefully supervised strength training is OK at age 7 or 8, too.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks so much, I'm really hoping to talk with a pediatrician. How can I do that?
You just make an appointment with the doctor and take your son to him/her. Then you should talk to him/her about it. I think after s/he examines him, s/he will say the activities are okay if he doesn't have any problems.