Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My 6 month old granddaughter has had a rash that almost

Customer Question

my 6 month old granddaughter has had a rash that almost totally goes away at night and gets worse during the day. The rash was completely gone for 1 1/2 days and came back with a vengeance. It is accompanied by a fever of no higher than 102.5. She had severe colic when born but no issues with that now. Took her off the Colic drops (probiotic) with no improvement. She is breastfed only. The rash covers her trunk mostly and spreads to her face and extremities. This has lasted for over 4 weeks now and blood tests only reveal elevated WBC (19). Chest xray was fine. Her Dr. has given Zyrtec with no real improvement. Any ideas of what it could be or a type of specialist to see her? Would a dermatologist be recommended or a virual specialist? Thanks in advance!
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your granddaughter.

most rashes on 6 month olds with fever are from viral infections.

some viral infections like epstein barr virus or coscachie virus can last a few weeks in length for infection.

her elevated WBC count is consistent with infection.

her ears need to be checked for fluid.

one option is to try her on a course of peniciillin or amoxicillin and see if that helps the rash and WBC count and fevers.

benadryl pediatric can also be tried as well at night time to help with sleep and see if that helps the rash.

I would try those first before going to a specialist.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com