DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Board certified general medicine
Experience:  Treat babies to elderly with medical and integrative therapies; all situations; innovative treatment
24257177

Sivak, My daughter has had a fever of 102.4 past three days.

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Sivak,
My daughter has had a fever of 102.4 for the past three days. She has a sweet smell to her breath (like strep) so I had her tested both cultures came back negative. Today she is extremely fatigued and mentioned that her neck hurts to move and she is very sleepy. I have an appointment this afternoon and am curious if I should ask the doctor to complete blood tests. If so, which blood tests would be the most beneficial?
Thank you.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 8 months ago.

Hello

The doctor needs to rule out meningitis.

If exam indicates, she would need a spinal tap and antibiotic started.

If it is viral, just observation.

There is no specific blood test that would be useful, a CBC might show if there is an elevated white count in general [bacterial] or elevated lymphocytes [viral].

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.