Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

My nephew is 16 and recently went physical so he can

Customer Question

My nephew is 16 and recently went for his physical so he can participate in sports. On a urine dip, his protein came out 4+. The doctor decided to do a 24 hr urine test. The results were as followed: Total Protein 87.9 (reference range 0-15mg/dl) and his Protein 24 hr calculated was 1167.7 (reference range 10-150.0). The doctor recommended he see a pediatric nephrologist. Are these numbers of great concern and what could possibly be causing these numbers to be so high. My nephew has no medical conditions other than a nut allergy.
QUESTION #1 I could not get an appt with a nephologist until the last week in April. Is it ok to wait that long to have this evaluated? What can I do between now and his appt, i.e, low protein diet, increased fluid intake, avoid vigerous exercise??? etc. Please help as I am very concerned. Thank you!
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Yes he needs more evaluation by pediatrician for b.p. Check edema, and detailed urine microscopy, blood urea & creatinine etc.

If blood tests do not reveal kidney damage, he ma take normal or high protein diet, light sports and normal fluid intake if no edema.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi Doctor,
So it is ok if we wait a month for him to be evaluated by a nephrologist as that was the earliest we could get. In addition, he has not edema, do we need to limit his activity as he is currently exercising up to five to six times a week with his school sports. I also want to reinterate that you are saying he should be consuming a normal or HIGH (NOT low) protein diet. Thank you.

Before deciding on protein we must get test for urea, creatinine done. If normal then high protein to be given to compensate for loss in urine. Rest will lead to faster healing of whatever is wrong.