Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp
16481530

I would like to get a second opinion in regard to my earlier

Customer Question

I would like to get a second opinion in regard to my earlier question. My question is when a five year old child has a cold is it okay to give them a cold drink, or is a cold drink bad for them when they are sick? The alternative would be to slightly warm what they are drinking or at least take the chill off it.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Pediatric2000 replied 9 months ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** . I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

The sugar content in the cold drink can aggravate the viral infection and inflammation . I would suggest you to avoid the cold drink even if it is served warm.

However , giving a very small amount like 50 ml to the child of 5 will not do much harm. Avoid giving more than 100 ml .

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

How about having them drink cold milk verses warm milk, is there any harm giving the child cold milk if they want to drink it cold?

Cold milk will trigger more vasoconstriction and hence trigger more congestion in the throat and cause more compensatory cold .

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned?