khagihara
khagihara, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Experience:  Trained in multiple medical fields
20084961

I have had some people tell me that my 5 year old shows

Customer Question

I have had some people tell me that my 5 year old shows signs of Autism but all the signs I read do not match him although I do believe there is something wrong with his development.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

What are the signs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He can not potty train, a lot of his words sound more like a 2 or 3 year old. He has trouble remembering things that he has learned 10 minutes before. He excels in electronics (computer,tablet, operating the netflix remote) but has trouble with basic things like colors and counting no matter how long we spend going over them. He is very emotional and gets his feelings hurt extremely easy.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Does he have the following problems?

• Social and emotional give-and-take in social settings — for example, an inability to engage in normal back-and-forth conversation, a reduced ability to share experiences or emotions with others, or problems initiating or responding to social interactions
  • Nonverbal communication behaviors used for social interaction — for example, difficulty using or understanding nonverbal cues, problems making eye contact, problems using and understanding body language or gestures, or a total lack of facial expressions
  • Developing, maintaining and understanding relationships — for example, difficulty adjusting behavior to suit various social situations, problems sharing imaginative play or in making friends, or a lack of interest in others
  • Odd or repetitive motor movements, use of objects or speech — for example, body rocking or spinning, lining up toys or flipping objects, mimicking sounds, or repeating phrases verbatim without understanding how to use them
  • Insistence on sameness, rigid routines, or ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior — for example, extreme distress at small changes, expecting activities or verbal responses to always be done the same way, or needing to take the same route every day
  • Interests in objects or topics that are abnormal in intensity, detail or focus — for example, a strong attachment to unusual objects or parts of objects, excessively limited narrow areas of interest, or interests that are excessively repetitive
  • Extra sensitivity or a lack of sensitivity to sensory input or an unusual interest in sensory aspects of the environment — for example, apparent indifference to pain or temperature, negative response to certain sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects, or visual fascination to lights or movement
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.
  1. Social and emotional give-and-take in social settings — for example, an inability to engage in normal back-and-forth conversation, a reduced ability to share experiences or emotions with others, or problems initiating or responding to social interactions
  2. Nonverbal communication behaviors used for social interaction — for example, difficulty using or understanding nonverbal cues, problems making eye contact, problems using and understanding body language or gestures, or a total lack of facial expressions
  3. Developing, maintaining and understanding relationships — for example, difficulty adjusting behavior to suit various social situations, problems sharing imaginative play or in making friends, or a lack of interest in others
  4. Odd or repetitive motor movements, use of objects or speech — for example, body rocking or spinning, lining up toys or flipping objects, mimicking sounds, or repeating phrases verbatim without understanding how to use them
  5. Insistence on sameness, rigid routines, or ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior — for example, extreme distress at small changes, expecting activities or verbal responses to always be done the same way, or needing to take the same route every day
  6. Interests in objects or topics that are abnormal in intensity, detail or focus — for example, a strong attachment to unusual objects or parts of objects, excessively limited narrow areas of interest, or interests that are excessively repetitive
  7. Extra sensitivity or a lack of sensitivity to sensory input or an unusual interest in sensory aspects of the environment — for example, apparent indifference to pain or temperature, negative response to certain sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects, or visual fascination to lights or movement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is shy in social interactions but only towards adults. With other kids within 2 minutes they are his best friend. He does have a problem adjusting his behavior to suit the situation. He is loud no matter where we are or what we are doing. He gets upset though if you tell him he is being too loud. He does line up his cars and his playroom has to be clean before he will leave it. He is always complaining that things are too loud even when they are barely loud enough to hear and is always complaining that the bright lights hurt his eyes. He also has extreme separation anxiety from me. I can leave for 5 minutes, 2 hours or even just walk in the other room and he freaks out. He will not go to sleep unless I am near him.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Can you give me the numbers you mentioned fit for him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. 3. 5. 6. 7.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

To meet ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) criteria, your child must have problems across multiple situations with 1, 2, 3 and your child must experience at least two of these (4, 5, 6, 7). Although you child doesn't meet ASD criteria, he is borderline close to ASD. You should take him to the specialist to have him evaluated. The goal of treatment is to maximize ASD child's ability to function by reducing ASD symptoms and supporting development and learning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said I never really felt like he met the criteria but I did feel he was behind and that there was something wrong. I just wasn't sure what. What type of specialist would he need to see?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Doctors whose speciality is Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Please rate my answer. Take care.